Thursday 15 September 2011

Great British Bake Off Book!

If you haven't heard of the Great British Bake Off I would describe it as X-factor meets Masterchef with a touch of the quaint Delia air about it. I would consider myself a pretty good amateur chef but I would be crying into my royal icing standing before the two judges, Mary Berry and Paul Hollywood. Boy do they know their stuff! After watching a few episodes I've decided I need to up my game and focus on perfecting some of the more technical elements of baking. This book is a really good mix of exciting new recipes (Chocolate, fennel and ginger tart) and back to basic recipes (the 'perfect' Victoria sponge) with good 'step by step' instructions. The book covers all elements of the show, cakes, desserts, biscuits, savoury pies and sweet tarts. Most of the recipes are original, many were featured in the show and so are presumably the finalist's own recipes. Call me a simpleton but I also love the nice glossy pictures. A cookery book is only as good as the last recipe you've made so I'm going to try Stilton, New Potato and Spinach quiche tonight and shall let y'all know how it works out! This is a book that you could imagine your grandmother having, covered in sticky fingerprints and dried-on cake mix.

No comments:

Post a Comment