Sunday, 5 February 2012
Being Boring... Oh and Coconut Cupcakes
I read a recent interview with Daniel Radcliffe in which he described himself as boring. Eh... EXCUSE ME!!! What part of being the lead in a billion dollar franchise, appearing naked with a horse on the West End or being rich enough to buy your own airplane boring??? Hhrumph (read indignation). If his life is boring I am currently comatose having sent everyone I've ever met to sleep. I'm studying and working at the minute so I basically spend the day yawning and looking at the clock. The highlight of last week was buying a packet of milky bars in Lidl. I hope after exams to go travelling but right now I am DULL. In the proper sense of the word, Daniel. Use an Oxford Dictionary.
So anyway I take excitement whenever I can find it these days and these cupcakes are pure buttery joy.
Makes 12- From the Primrose Bakery Book
110g unsalted butter, at room temp
180g caster sugar
2 large eggs
1/2 tsp vanilla extract
1/8 tsp almond extract
125g self raising flour, sifted
120g plain flour, sifted
25g desiccated coconut
1. Cream the butter and sugar until pale and fluffy for about 3-5 minutes using an electric beater. Add the eggs one at a time, mixing for a few minutes after each addition and adding the extracts at the end.
2. Add one third of the flours and beat well. Pour in one third of the coconut milk and beat again. Repeat these steps until all the milk and flour has been incorporated.
3. Fold in the desiccated coconut using a metal spoon.
4. Carefully spoon the mixture into the cupcake cases filling to about two thirds full.
5. Bake in 160oC(fan)/180oC for 20-25 minutes until a skewer comes out clean.
For the icing
57g unsalted butter, at room temperature
1 tbsp lime juice
grated zest of 1 lime
250g icing sugar sifted
In a large mixing bowl beat the butter, lime juice and zest and half the icing sugar until smooth for several minutes. Gradually add the remainder of the icing sugar and beat until creamy.