There is nothing worse than going out for dinner and being met with a waitress who thinks being asked for ketchup is a waste of her precious energy resources (because apparently she's competing in the Olympics after her shift). Eat a cereal bar and get over it. I'm paying for a service.
Sometimes people are just petty or over-negative and I always leave a nice review if I'd had a good time. Credit where credit is due.
So yeah rant over. Maybe I ate too much of this lemon cake and it's left me bitter...? Tangy moist sponge is topped with a sticky lemony sweet and sour syrup. Delicious. Best of all it's super easy and quick to make.
From Good Housekeeping
For the cake
225g plain flour
2 tsp baking powder
2 tsp cinnamon
150g caster sugar
150g butter melted
lemon rind grated
150ml Greek Yogurt
4 large eggs lightly beaten
For the syrup
125g caster sugar
juice of one lemon
1. Whisk together sugar, butter, lemon rind, yogurt and eggs.
2. Sift the flour, baking powder, cinnamon in a clean bowl. Pour in the wet ingredients and mix well until all is incorporated.
3. Pour into a 2lb loaf tin that is greased and lined. Bake for 1 hour to 1.25 hours at 160oC until a skewer comes out clean.
4. Put the sugar, water and lemon in a pan and dissolve over a low heat then bring to the boil and bubble for around 10 minutes until syrupy and thickened.
5. With the cake still in the tin use a cocktail stick and pierce the cake all over. Spoon over the syrup and leave to soak for 1 hour.