Wednesday 9 January 2013

Natural Pink Raspberry Buttercream Icing


I never think that a drop or two of food colouring when I make my icing is going to harm anyone in the long term, but in an age where we are increasingly concerned about food additives, colours, e-numbers etc. etc. in our diets it is worth looking at natural way of adding colour to our baking. Berries are a great source of pink/red ink and also add a beautiful tang to cut through the sweet buttercream. It is easily done by adding shop bought unsweetened raspberry coulis or making your own which you could enslave children to do it is so simple. To me this buttercream tastes like those long cylindrical raspberry ice-lollies of childhood. Were they called Milky Moos?

For the raspberry coulis
1. Defrost 55g of frozen raspberries with a tsp of water for a couple of hours. When softened they will give out plenty of water. Mash with a fork. If using fresh raspberries you may need to add an extra 1-2 tsp of water.
2. Press the pulp through a fine sieve to get rid of the seeds.

Buttercream
75g butter softened
200g icing sugar sieved
2 tablespoons of raspberry coulis

1. Beat the butter and icing sugar together until the butter is a crumbed texture.
2. Make sure the coulis is warm/at room temperature. Heat in the microwave for 10 seconds if cold. Otherwise your buttercream may curdle.
3. Add the coulis and beat the buttercream for 3-4 minutes until lighter pink and there are no longer any lumps.

4 comments:

  1. I know the lollies you mean but I think they were called Milk Maids or something. I have mushed raspberries into buttercream and you get a great colour. Good idea to sieve the seeds out, I never thought of that.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow thanks for your comment, I know your busy and I am a bag fan of your blog! I love raspberries but the seeds in my teeth annoy me so I thought sieving would sort that out! Milk maids are definitely ringing a distant bell!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Blueberries are really nice too, give such a great purple colour!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Typo Sarah! Bag=Big!

    Fuchs- definitely going to try a variety of berries. Blueberries would be lovely! And the extra flavour over plain buttercream is just delicious!

    ReplyDelete